OUR library is now fine free! We no longer charge fines on late items. This ensures that everyone in our community will have access to library materials and services, which is our primary purpose as a public library. Here you’ll find information about this new policy and how it affects you.
WHY GO FINE FREE?
It’s good for our community. Our community is stronger and healthier when people have access to the programs, services, and materials they need to pursue their educational, career, family, and life goals, and library staff can focus on what we like to do best: helping our patrons! We believe this will encourage prior users to come back to the library and attract new users to experience our offerings.
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU…
- You will no longer receive a daily late fine on overdue items.
- You are still responsible for returning your items. We do want all items back!
- The library will send you reminders to return your items.
- Materials that are 28 days overdue are assumed lost and you will be billed for the replacement and processing costs. Collection fees (UMS) will be applied for lost items totaling $25 or more.
- Replacement fees and processing charges for lost or damaged items still apply.
- If lost items are returned, the replacement and processing costs will be cleared from your account. Collection fees (UMS) applied for lost items totaling $25 or more cannot be waived.
- Special Collection items such as Museum Passes, Stem Kits, Makerspace Items, Musical Instruments, iPads, Wi-fi hotspots and other electronic equipment will continue to be charged overdue fines in accordance with each library’s policies.
- If you have overdue fines that you accrued before we went fine free, you are no longer required to pay these fees.
|Material Type||Limit||Loan Period|
|Books||No Limit; 5 per subject/per family||3 Weeks|
|New Books||5 / Card||2 Weeks|
|Magazines||5 / Card||3 Weeks (back issues only)|
|Audiobooks (includes NEW)||5 / Card||3 Weeks|
|DVDs||5 / Card (max of 5 DVDs/DVD series combo)||1 Week|
|DVD series||5 / Card (max of 5 DVDs/DVD series combo)||2 Weeks|
|Music CDs||5 / Card||3 Weeks|
|Museum Passes||1 / Card||1 Week|
|Puzzles||1 / Card||3 Weeks|
|Stem Kits||1 / Family||1 Week|
|Interlibrary Loans||5 / Card||Varies|
|DVDs/Audiobooks/Music CDs||no overdue fine|
|Print materials||no overdue fine|
|Puzzles||no overdue fine|
|Museum Passes||$10.00 per day overdue fine|
|Stem Kits||$5.00 per day overdue fine|
|Interlibrary Loans||$1.00 per item / per day overdue fine|
Fees for Lost / Damaged Items
|All LML Items||Replacement cost of item + $5.00 process fee|
Blocks on Borrowing
|$10.00 or more in Fines / Fees||Record is blocked, cannot borrow|
|Lost / Damaged Items||Record is blocked, cannot borrow|
All items (except Museum Passes) can be renewed two times (if there are requests placed on the item, it cannot be renewed) *Interlibrary Loans = renewals are subject to lending library. One week’s notice is required for renewal request.
- Outstanding fines totaling $10.00 or more must be paid prior to renewal.
- Items that have already reached the maximum renewals must be returned & available for loan for at least one business day before borrowing them again.
- Due dates for items that are renewed are calculated from the date of renewal, not the original due date.
We’ll attempt to automatically renew your eligible items on the due date.
- You’ll receive an email notice informing you of the new due date or if the item was unable to be renewed (must be signed up to receive email notifications).
- You’ll continue to receive the reminder courtesy notice three days prior to your items being due.
Method: In person, by phone, online
What can be requested: All circulating items as well as items that appear as “on order” in the catalog
- Hold requests will be fulfilled in order from the earliest to the latest request.
- Patrons will be notified via phone, email or text when an item requested becomes available for pickup. After such notification, the item will be held for 4 working days, after which it will either be returned to the shelf, or checked out to the next person on the request list.
- In order to place online requests, patrons cannot have fines of $10.00 or more on their accounts.
For a full listing of the Lehigh Carbon Library Cooperative (LCLC) borrowing policies, please click here.
- Cardholders must present a valid library card in order to check out materials. If a library card is not available, the cardholder must provide ID and proof of address that exactly matches the address on the account. ID may be used in lieu of a library card up to three (3) times before the cardholder will be required to purchase a new library card.
- Library cards are individual, not family cards, and should only be used by the person to whom the card is issued. Services may be denied to persons attempting to use another person’s card without authorization.
- Cardholders can designate other persons to pick up reserved materials for them by notifying a staff member in person. This authorization will be specifically noted in the cardholder’s account.
- Cardholders are responsible for all materials checked out on their library card and on the cards of minor children for whom they have assumed responsibility on a library card application.
- Cardholders are responsible for all charges on their account including payments for any late, lost, or damaged items borrowed on their card. LCLC libraries reserve the right to charge an administrative/processing fee for handling lost and damaged items.
- Cardholders are responsible to report their address, telephone and/or email changes.
- Lost or stolen library cards must be reported immediately so that the card can be invalidated. The owner of the card is responsible for all items checked out on the card until the card is reported lost or stolen. Replacement card fees may apply.